My top Apps of 2013

December 10th, 2013 | Posted by AlwaysComputing in 2DIY | ICT Resources | Ipads for Learning

apps2013

Over the year I have used a variety of apps in my teaching of primary school children. They might not be the newest, or the most fancy all singing ones. This list is my must have apps, the ones I wouldn’t be without. For me it is about how they work in the classroom, not just how good they look. So these are the ones that are tried and tested, and I would recommend to any teacher.

2DIY

Create your own interactive resources, activities, games, puzzles, quizzes. With this software teachers and primary school children can create cross-curricular, personalised resources and use them on whiteboards, websites and even on Learning Platforms. There are plenty of opportunities for meaningful learning as children plan, design, create, publish and play. Loads of fun, and easy to use with all ages. I highly recommend this one!

abcABCJoinedUp

abc Joined Up makes learning cursive writing an enjoyable and fun experience. It helps children write cursive letters and words correctly and provides positive and supportive feedback by celebrating success. Beginner Level teaches children to recognise letters by their sounds and to write individual cursive letters correctly on the screen with their fingers. Intermediate Level shows children how to recognise letters and blends by their sounds and to join letters together correctly on the screen with their fingers. Expert Level teaches children to sequence the sounds they can hear in a word and then join the letter together and write the word correctly on the screen using a finger or a stylus.

Epic Citadel

Enter Epic Citadel, the dynamic fantasy setting of the award-winning Infinity Blade. From the circus bazaar to the sweeping cathedral in the center of town, Epic Citadel dazzles with a visual parade of special effects, as only imagined by Epic Games and powered by the critically acclaimed Unreal Engine 3. Are you ready to explore the realm of the Epic Citadel and all the beautiful secrets it holds? Really great for creative writing and imaginative thinking. The amount of discussion and imaginative thinking from one app is amazing!

Twinkl Phonics Suite

Whether you are a teacher who wants to use this App to enhance children’s learning alongside your letters and sounds sessions, or a parent who wants to support your child’s learning of phonics at home, this App has something for everyone!
– The sounds and names of each letter of the alphabet
– Letter formation
– Blending sounds in CVC words
– The graphemes taught in phases 2-3 (including digraphs and trigraphs)
– Initial and final blends
– Alternative spellings for phonemes
– High frequency and tricky words for each phase.

Read my full review of the app here. 

Penulitumate

The most natural digital handwriting experience on iPad, Penultimate gives you the convenience and feel of writing on paper with the added power and availability of Evernote. Take notes in class or a meeting, journal your thoughts, or outline your next big idea — in the office, on the go, or at home on the sofa. This is the app I constantly use to scribble down the ramblings inside my head! Easy to jot down ideas, but the kids can also use it as well! I have used it with my digital leaders when doing brain storming sessions.

Daisy the Dino

Learn the basics of computer programming with Daisy the Dinosaur! This free, fun app has an easy drag and drop interface that kids of all ages can use to animate Daisy to dance across the screen. Kids will intuitively grasp the basics of objects, sequencing, loops and events by solving this app’s challenges. After playing Daisy, kids can choose to download a kit to program their own computer game.

Meteor Maths

Math meets an arcade game in Meteor Math, and you’ll want to play all day! “Crash” meteors together to solve addition, subtraction, multiplication and division equations. Improve your math skills as you progress through increasingly harder problems. Suitable for kids of all ages… and even adults who want a fun challenge! I often use this as a quick starter activity and works really well.

Barefoot Atlas 

Barefoot World Atlas is a magical interactive 3D globe that invites children to explore the regions and countries of the world, discovering hundreds of fascinating features and immersing themselves in the rich wonders of our planet. This is a multi-language, universal app for the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. The rich and beautifully detailed graphics take full advantage of the amazing new high-definition retina screen. 
Geographer and BBC TV presenter Nick Crane is your guide, as you fly at will around a beautiful 3D globe created by artist David Dean. Explore the world’s continents, great oceans and changing environments. Meet different people around the planet and find out about their way of life. Encounter amazing wildlife, discover landmarks, natural features and famous buildings. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! So immersive for the pupils and endless lessons from one little app!

So that’s my list, make of it what you will! Please leave some comments below of apps you have used with success in the classroom. 

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.