I recently came across Aurasma on the front cover of Good Food magazine and was captivated. Turning the average image into a link, video or message brings your pages (or classroom walls) to life, and instantly made me think of the pictures in the Harry Potter stories. The ability to create your own augmented reality images led me to see very little of my wife that weekend, I just spent my time shout ‘WOW, look at this’ to her! Then with my teacher head on I started to think of ways you could use it in the classroom. How could pupils use it, or how could the school use it as a tool? Here is what I came up with:
- Create an inspiration board on your table. Fill it with images, videos, sound clips of your learning topic and allow the children to investigate.
- Create Language tags for Key words. Allow pupils to either learn a foreign language, or develop their English skills by image swapping words.
- Create a Video treasure hunt around the school.
- Have pupils create a video evaluating a piece of work, lay the video over the work and display on the wall. When parents come on open days give them the opportunity to learn about the pupils work and how it was created (plus the use of technology will AMAZE them!)
- Use them as instruction manuals. Create a video showing how to use a piece of technology and lay it over the top of it. When a user points their device at the object they get a how to guide.
- Create Harry Potter style wanted posters or newspaper articles. Get the children to show off their acting skills by screaming in their wanted shots, or posing for a paparazzi shot!
- Digital Leader instructions. Most schools now have digital leaders to promote the use of ICT across the school. Get them to create simple instructional videos or how2 guides for your school’s programs.
Hopefully this should give you some ideas or starting points for using the app in your classrooms. I think I’m going to the using it more and more over the next few months, so please share or discuss any other ideas for the app you have.
To get the free Aurasma App click here.